Friday, May 27, 2011

Well I didn't see that coming, but I'm glad it did!

Now that my darling daughter is on the mend, we went out for lunch in our local coffee shop today. She enjoyed every minute of it and didn't want to leave, so we were there for a good hour. While she coloured and nibbled on her toasted sandwich, I drank my coffee and enjoyed just being out and about. 

My daughter was oblivious to what was going on around her but I wasn't. At the table next to us were two  of the most hateful women I've ever heard in my life! They sat there tearing everyone they knew apart! From how this person dressed, that one spent her money and how another decorated her house. 'She's this, she's that, she's the other'. It was revolting! How could two people agree to be so bitchy about everyone they knew? And from what I was hearing, they were definitely talking about their so called 'friends'. 

I'm sure we all meet people like this in our lives but it really got me thinking. Have I ever been guilty of this? Well I can't say that I haven't, but after hearing these women and how ugly it made them to me as people, I will definitely be making a conscious effort not to get dragged into that sort of conversation again. As I keep telling my children, if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, say nothing at all! Bitching for the sake of it and seeing bad in people where it doesn't really exist is pathetic, not to mention born out of insecurity and sheer jealousy! If you are more concerned about how others live their lives and you sit in judgement of them, you are simply showing up the worst in yourself. 

I have to say, I am grateful to have witnessed this today in such a shockingly obvious way. I have always tried to be understanding and compassionate about other people, but now I am making a point of it being a  new way of life. Funny how life put me in a voyeur situation today that evoked real emotion for me. I am grateful for it. I get to be a better person going forward and, at the end of the day, isn't that what we should all be striving for? Looking at ourselves for self improvement and not looking at others and ripping them apart to make ourselves feel better? 

If it strikes a cord with you, you are more than welcome to join me in this shift of consciousness....

No comments:

Post a Comment